As you surf the web take a look around at many of the websites you see. Do you notice anything that seems strange? Well, allow me to point it out to you. There are thousands and thousands of internet sites that simply don’t get much traffic. Some of these sites house hundreds of articles, tutorials, reviews, tools, products, forums to mention a few things, yet still they don’t receive considerable amounts of traffic. What’s their problem? They have the content. What is left?
The problem is that these websites are not optimized for the search engines. SEO, Search Engine Optimization, SE Friendliness, however you refer to it does not matter, the simple fact is it works and I will let you know what’s involved.
Before we continue let me familiarize you with some appropriate terminology in my own words.
Search Engine Optimization
Search engine optimization can be known as the inclusion and modification of all factors and prolonged variables of a website in hopes of achieving a better position in the search engines. By variables I mean elements of a website like META tags and content. By extended factor I mean things like links from other websites.
Different SEOs, search engine optimizers, may have different opinions on this but this is only my own.
What is a Search Engine Optimization Company?
A search engine optimization company is a company which provides the service of creating and adjusting all of the factors involved with search engine optimization so as to get your web site the best position they could achieve, during the specified project period, for all the important search engines.
Search Engine Optimization Hurdles
Back to the question of why these sites rich with content are not bringing in the numbers. There are lots of reasons why sites small and large are not optimized for the search engines, fortunately these can be remedied.
1. Many webmasters/site owners believe in “If You Build It They Will Come”. This attitude will get your web site no where fast. Sure if you build it you will get users perhaps even a good number of users but you won’t be unleashing the true potential of your web site.
2. Not feeling that your website can do better than it is. Websites can always be further optimized. Search engines change their algorithms all the time so what worked two months ago might not work as well or at all in current times. For any of you that fee you can get your website optimized better, think about this story of the Little Engine and do not believe you can, KNOW YOU CAN.
3. Laziness is also a significant contributing element. Many webmasters feel it’s just too hard or too time consuming to perform search engine optimization.
This is partly correct. Search engine optimization isn’t easy but then again, anyone can do it. It will take time though and time is a valuable commodity. In circumstances where you just can not devote the time to search engine optimize your website I would recommend seeking the services of a professional search engine optimization firm.
4. Time + cost = a deterrent. For a situation like this I would recommend optimizing little by little on your own. Finally you’ll become better and better at it and be able to achieve more in less time.
5. Another problem is many folks think”Well my website is only a small website, there isn’t any way I will have the ability to compete with the larger sites that have high places in the search engines”. If you think like that I’d love to say this to you. It’s possible that if you optimize your website you might not have the ability to compete with the larger sites and might not have the ability to have a page 1 or 2 ranking in any of the search engines, BUT, what if you’d like. Always shoot for the stars so if you fall short you’ll at least hit the skies.
Now for those who intend to better your sites via Search Engine Optimization below are the stages you want to follow in order to have an efficient and effective search engine optimization campaign.
Planning Your Search Engine Optimization Campaign
Planning is a vital element in your search engine optimization campaign. Knowing exactly what steps you’re going to make and in what order and how you’re going to go about achieving each of these steps will save not only time but it will save you frustration also. Planning is essential.
Researching the Most Effective SEO Strategies
What works and what doesn’t. You’ll have to learn as many optimization strategies as possible that are effective with the search engines. This will be among the most time consuming steps on your search engine optimization campaign as you’ll need to sift through information and engage in SEO related forums to get additional information from specialist. You may take this process in stages and apply your newly gained knowledge as you get it. There’s also some useful software available both free and paid which will greatly assist with this effort. WebPosition Gold is one of the more popular ones.
Search Engine Optimize Your Website
This needs to be done in stages so you can see the efficacy of the applied strategies you’re using. Do not change your entire site all at once, rather, change a few areas at a time and see what results they create. If you’re happy with this then move on and optimize another section.
Search engine optimization doesn’t only handle your site it also addresses the relationship other websites have with yours and yours with theirs. Bear this in mind when using your link building strategies.
Monitor Your SEO Progress
There are lots of ways to do this you’ll have to discover the best way for you. You’ll have to monitor your search engine ranking for the keywords you’re targeting after each upgrade.
Changes must be recorded and used as references to track progress and for strategy adjustments. There are several tools for this process too. I suggest SEOCount.com for tracking your progress on the Google search engine since it is quite user friendly and you can track several domains and domains all from within the same account. Additionally, it provides you the option of seeing the amount of backlinks.